Gordon Forsyth at email@example.com
How to get there
Members of the Organising Committee
Oldmeldrum Sports were first held in 1930, when a committee of 6 local working men were persuaded to part with a week's wages (a considerable sacrifice in those days) to put the event into motion and to raise money to provide a Cocoa Fund for the children of Oldmeldrum.
Those founder members included Fred Green, Bill Castle, David Reid (who was the garage owner), Sandy Paterson (who farmed at Cautens), Major James Seivwright and Bob Horne. Probably the most well known of this illustrious band was founder secretary Fred Green, who was the vital spark behind the sports for 44 years until his retirement in 1975. On his retirement he was presented with a Gold Medal by the Lord Lieutenant of Aberdeenshire, now Sir Maitland Mackie, who himself opened the games on several occasions.
The first Sports were held in a small field where Provost Drive is now situated, and it is believed that the event raised a sum of £36 for the Cocoa Fund. All profits from today's Sports are disbursed annually to local charities and community organisations.
A sponsored walk in 1969 raised £110. It was led off by Mr. Alexander Pirie, then in his 102nd year. The Games have never been self-financing and events like the sponsored walk helped to raise much needed funds.
Oldmeldrum Sports has always been renowned for the variety of celebrity guests that have opened the games since 1946. The first national "celebrity" of the modern age to open the games was in 1955. It is believed that over 15,000 people - a Games record - saw Sir Richard Dimbleby declare the games open. A Royal Naval helicopter - one of the earliest service helicopters seen in a region where they are now "ten a penny" - brought Sir Richard to the arena and gave a display of its abilities.
Community Web Kit provided free by BT